WASHINGTON, D.C. | October 5, 2011 -
Today, House Committee on Education and the Workforce Chairman John Kline (R-MN) introduced the Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act to help prevent the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) from implementing sweeping changes to our workplaces.
In recent months, the NLRB has quietly advanced an activist agenda that empowers unions to manipulate the workforce for their own gain while restricting an employer’s right to communicate with their employees and crippling an employee’s ability to make a fully informed decision. The Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act will force the NLRB to change course and reaffirm the protections workers and employers have received for decades.
“There is no doubt the board’s radical actions will wreak havoc on businesses, and in turn, our economy,” Chairman Kline said. “Employers will be forced to dedicate their limited resources to managing labor relations instead of expanding operations and hiring new workers. To make matters worse, the board’s agenda will create unnecessary strife within the workplace, pitting worker against coworker and opening the door to increased union pressure."
“The Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act is a responsible proposal that will protect employers’ free speech and workers’ free choice," continued Chairman Kline. "While some would prefer to stand by and watch as the board harasses employers and weakens worker protections, my Republican colleagues and I are determined to hold the NLRB accountable for its job-destroying agenda.”
The Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act (H.R. 3094) will:
- Ensure employers are able to participate in a fair union election process;
- Guarantee workers have the ability to make a fully informed decision in a union election;
- Reinstate the traditional standard for determining which employees will vote in the union election; and
- Safeguard privacy by allowing workers to decide the type of personal information provided to a union.
Original cosponsors of H.R. 3094 include:
- Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon (R-CA)
- Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC)
- Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC)
- Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA)
- Rep. Phil Roe (R-TN)
- Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-PA)
- Rep. Tim Walberg (R-MI)
- Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-TN)
- Rep. Todd Rokita (R-IN)
- Rep. Larry Bucshon (R-IN)
- Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC)
- Rep. Martha Roby (R-AL)
- Rep. Dennis Ross (R-FL)
- Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA)
On Wednesday, October 12, the House Committee on Education and the Workforce will hold a legislative hearing on the Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act.
To read the bill, click here.
To read a bill summary of H.R. 3094, click here.
To learn more about the H.R. 3094, click here.
# # #